The inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of all human beings are the foundations of freedom, justice and peace in the world. The strength of our democracy rests on the rights and responsibilities set forth in the United States Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the Washington State Constitution. Democrats remain at the forefront of the struggle to extend social, political, economic and legal rights to all persons.
- Our government derives its legitimacy solely from the People;
- In the consistent application of constitutional checks and balances and oversight among the branches of our government;
- In public financing of all election campaigns, and full disclosure of contribution amounts and sources;
- In the facilitation of registration and voting by every U.S. citizen eligible to vote;
- In accessible, fair, open, and verifiable elections, and balloting with paper trails.
- Privacy is fundamental; our private lives and personal information must be protected from intrusion by government or others;
- Human rights include access to food, water, shelter, safety, health care; education, employment, and access to legal aid and due process;
- Discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, military service, insurance, licensing or education based on race, religion, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, economic status, disability, physical size, political affiliation or national origin is wrong; those who face discrimination must be afforded the legal means and economic opportunities to overcome such injustice;
- We have the right to sovereignty over our own bodies;
- Marriage, as a legal union of consenting adults, should not be restricted by sexual orientation or gender identity;
- The right to unionize is a civil and human right.
We call for:
- The ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment;
- The right of all women to be free of government, corporate, or religious interference in their reproductive decisions, including birth control and abortion, and to have safe, legal, protected, affordable and accessible health care that enables them to make informed choices;
- Honoring the rich diversity of society and efforts to reflect that diversity in our Party;
- Unfettered voter participation in all elections;
- Respecting the rights of all adults, including seniors and individuals with disabilities, to direct their own lives in housing, education and all other life choices to the extent of their abilities;
- Adding enforcement provisions to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended;
- Ending legalized discrimination against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) people, repealing the federal “Defense of Marriage” act, and supporting same-sex marriage law and all rights associated with marriage;
- Equal pay for equal work;
- The end of human trafficking for the sex trade and all other forms of involuntary servitude;
- Strong legislation, treatment programs and education designed to reduce harassment, intimidation, domestic or sexual violence, and bullying in the workplace.
- Hiring out prisoners for private gain;
- Warrantless wiretapping and searches of American citizens;
- Discrimination against LGBT people on parenting rights;
- The use of rubber bullets.