October 10, 2022
Tiffany Smiley unequivocally expressed support for federal abortion ban on Twitter in 2017
Smiley lies to voters; says she opposed a federal abortion ban “long before” the Dobbs decision
(Seattle, WA) – Tiffany Smiley has told voters that, while she is “100 percent” pro-life, she opposes a federal abortion ban. But in September 2017 when her Twitter account was for personal use, Tiffany Smiley liked a tweet by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) endorsing a national federal ban–leaving zero doubt that Tiffany Smiley’s claim she won’t vote for a federal abortion ban is a blatant general election pivot, meant to mislead Washington state voters.
McMorris Rodgers quotes a tweet from the founder of LifeNews.com reading, “BREAKING: House Will Vote on Pro-Life Bill Banning Late-Term Abortions After 20 Weeks” and McMorris Rodgers says, “An amazing life-affirming bill. Proud to have been a part of the effort to get this bill passed out of the House in 2015 #ProLife”
“Tiffany Smiley has been trying to hide the truth for months, but we have the receipts: before she announced her campaign, Tiffany Smiley publicly supported a national abortion ban. She would be a vote in the Senate to put Mitch McConnell in charge and let politicians ban abortion in every state across the country,” said Washington State Democratic Party spokesperson Caitlin Harrington. “She can run from her positions, and she can lie, but Tiffany Smiley can no longer hide the fact that she supported a national abortion ban.”
This week, Smiley will be campaigning alongside former Vice President Mike Pence, an anti-abortion extremist who was one of the first Republicans to call for a federal abortion ban after the Supreme Court repealed Roe v. Wade, saying “it is imperative that Republicans and conservatives resolve, here and now, that we will not shrink from the fight.”
Bottom Line: Tiffany Smiley is an anti-choice candidate with a long, documented anti-choice record who would rubberstamp the extreme GOP agenda to ban abortion nationwide, including in Washington state–no matter how hard she tries to mislead Washington state voters.
BACKGROUND ON TIFFANY SMILEY’S ANTI-ABORTION RECORD:
- In January of this year, Smiley liked a tweet by Fox News contributor Elizabeth Economou that said “#AbortionisMurder.”
- Smiley is, in her own words, “100 percent pro-life.”
- At the start of her campaign, Tiffany Smiley endorsed the Texas abortion ban, one of the most extreme in the nation with no exceptions for rape or incest — even while admitting “there’s a lot of parts of it that make it hard for me in Washington state.“
- This September, her campaign reiterated her “respect” for the extreme Texas law.
- Smiley cheered the decision that overturned Roe and allowed states to ban abortion with no exceptions…
- And refused to say – after being repeatedly asked – whether she supports abortion exceptions for rape and incest.
- She is raising money from, campaigning with, and collecting endorsements from anti-abortion politicians who are committed to passing a national abortion ban, including those working to ban abortion in Washington state.
- Her first vote would be to make Mitch McConnell Senate majority leader — and Republicans have already introduced and suggested they would bring to the floor legislation to ban abortion nationwide and impose criminal penalties of up to five years in prison on Americans.