The State of Our State Is Strong, Thanks to Jay Inslee
Governor Jay Inslee’s leadership has built Washington state into a progressive beacon for the nation.
Seattle, WA — At noon today, Governor Jay Inslee will deliver his State of the State address to a joint session of the Washington state legislature. As Governor Inslee lays out his vision for the 2020 legislative session and beyond, one thing is certain: the state of our state is strong, thanks to Governor Inslee’s leadership.
Since Jay Inslee took office, Washington state’s economy has soared. Under Inslee’s leadership, Washington state has been ranked the best state for business and the best state for workers. Governor Inslee has built the fastest-growing economy in the country, and U.S. News & World Report ranked Washington the best state in the nation in 2019.
At the same time, Washington state has set a new bar for what a progressive state looks like, passing first- and best-in-the-nation policies to support working families, children, and vulnerable communities.
“Here in Washington, we’ve shown the rest of the country what progressive leadership looks like,” said Washington State Democrats Chair Tina Podlodowski. “The state of our state is strong, and with nation-leading policies like Career Connect, paid family leave, and long-term care insurance, we have a lot to be proud of, thanks to Governor Inslee’s vision.”
Governor Inslee has led with the belief that our state thrives when our middle class and working families thrive. Washington state now has:
- Nation-leading wage protections for workers, including the highest state-based minimum wage and some of the country’s strongest overtime protections, so that Washington workers are paid fairly for the hours they work.
- The strongest Paid Family & Medical Leave program in the country, so that Washingtonians don’t have to choose between a paycheck and being with their family in life’s most challenging moments.
- Paths for all young people to pursue meaningful careers thanks to Career Connect and the largest college financial aid grant program in the country.
- A plan to transition our state to 100% clean energy.
- The nation’s first public long-term care insurance program, so that our senior citizens can age with dignity.
Democrats are ready to expand on this progress during the 2020 legislative session, and today’s State of the State address will lay out his vision for how we can address key priorities. Tune into today’s speech on CSPAN or TVW.